The Flint Healthcare Employment Opportunities (FHEO) Program was designed to assist unemployed and underemployed residents of Flint and Genesee County with obtaining training and employment in the healthcare industry. These training programs include: Certified Nurse Assistant, Medical Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Billing and Coding, Registered Nurse, and other high demand health careers.*
*Training opportunities based on funding availability
DO I QUALIFY?
For eligible participants accepted into the FHEO Program, training funds are awarded throughout the year and are based on local employer hiring needs, applicant qualifications, training availability, and the following criteria:
- Resident of GST MI Works service area and eligible for WIOA Adult, Dislocated Worker or Out-of-School Youth services
- Demonstration of need or experiencing circumstances that make it difficult to focus on a career transition
- A compatibility for a career in healthcare – clear criminal background, aptitude and capabilities assessments, healthcare career suitability assessment, and drug screening
- Minimum age: 18 years old
- High school diploma/GED
- Veterans strongly encouraged to apply
Don’t Screen Yourself Out. Let Us Screen You In! Call 810-232-2228 for more information!
HOW DO I APPLY?
1. Contact the FHEO Program at 810-232-2228 with your questions and to sign up for the next information session.
Program components are designed by FHEO Program employers to give participants the background, skills, and experience needed to succeed in a health care career.
- Career readiness and “fit” assessments
- Three week Healthcare Life Skills Training and Career Exploration Workshops
- A career advisor to assist with decision making and goal achievement
- Tuition funding
- Assistance with books, uniforms, exam/license fees and work supplies
- Resume, interview skills, financial literacy and other workshops to improve competitiveness in the workplace
- Employer connections and job search assistance
FHEO PROGRAM STEPS
FHEO PROGRAM PARTNERS
The Flint Healthcare Education Opportunities (FHEO) Program has been identified by GST Michigan Works! Agency as the lead healthcare service provider for the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA) Career Services (Adult and Dislocated Workers Program) and WIOA Out-of-School Youth Services.
The FHEO Program’s partner organizations make our work to assist residents with training and education for future healthcare careers a shared success by helping participants find sustainable careers while helping meet the needs of local healthcare employers. In addition to our funders, FHEO Program partner organizations include, but are not limited to:
- Ascension Genesys Hospital
- McLaren Flint
- Hurley Medical Center
- Hamilton Community Health Network
- GST Michigan Works!
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
- Baker College of Flint
- Flint STRIVE
- Mott Community College
- Mott Workforce Development
- Genesee Intermediate School District
- University of Michigan-Flint
- Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy
- DaVita Dialysis
- Charter Healthcare Training Center
- Ross Medical Education Center
FHEO PROGRAM HISTORY
The Greater Flint Health Coalition (GFHC) is the lead agency for the Flint Healthcare Employment Opportunities (FHEO) Program and the lead Healthcare Service Provider for GST Michigan Works. Established in 2002, the FHEO Program trained its first graduating class in January 2003. Started thanks to the vision of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, the FHEO Program has received funding from the C.S. Mott Foundation, Community Foundation of Greater Flint, GST Michigan Works, the Aspen Institute, and the United States Department of Labor.