The Advance Care Planning Project (led by the GFHC’s Advance Care Planning Task Force) has a vision to create a single, community-wide process of advance care planning in the Genesee County / Flint community that emphasizes the shared practice of comprehensive, effective methods that result in honoring informed healthcare decisions of patients that respect each patient’s wishes and rights while making advance care plans readily available to healthcare providers so that patient decisions can be accurately converted to medical orders when necessary and appropriate.
Genesee County residents are encouraged to seek additional information on advance care planning services available. To learn more, or to schedule a free appointment with a Certified Advance Care Planning Facilitator that can assist you with completing, updating, or reviewing your Advance Directive document, please visit www.yourhealthyourchoice.org or contact any of the following organizations:
- Genesys Health System via phone at (810) 424-2270 or email at YHYC@genesys.org
- Hurley Medical Center via phone at (810) 262-2770 or email at YHYC@hurleymc.com
- McLaren-Flint via phone at (810) 342-2546 or email at YHYC@mclaren.org
- Greater Flint Health Coalition via phone at (810) 232-2228 or email at YHYC@flint.org
Launched in 2012, the Advance Care Planning Task Force has the following outcome options:
- Develop a sustainable, systemic standard of care and culture within Genesee County to implement Advance Care Planning (ACP) and Advance Directives (AD) so that all individuals, especially those with chronic illness, can decide “how they will live” at or near the end of their lives.
- Develop a shared, community-wide process of advance care planning that emphasizes the creation of comprehensive, effective methods that result in honoring informed healthcare decisions of patients that respect each patient’s rights, while:
- providing comfort and dignity during end-of-life care;
- increasing the patient’s participation in decisions regarding the patient’s care, treatment, or services before and at the end of life;
- ensuring a complete patient record reflecting the patient’s care, treatment, or service is available when needed across Genesee County / Flint health systems and provider sites.
- Complete planning and development of a Genesee County / Flint Advance Care Planning process and micro-system that creates shared standards of:
- Advance Care Planning and Advance Directive System Design, which includes a single Advance Directive document used across provider and community settings, a reliable medical record storage and retrieval process, and an integrated Advance Care Planning team and referral protocol;
- Advance Care Planning facilitation skills training and curriculum to ensure delivery of a consistent and reliable Advance Care Planning service to residents across provider and community sites;
- Advance Care Planning referral processes and timing of planning services to patients and citizens;
- Advance Care Planning Community Engagement to ensure residents are provided a consistent, common, and repetitive message to meet the needs of diverse communities about the benefits of advance care planning;
- Advance Care Planning measurement that focuses on continuous quality improvement and demonstrates evidence that plans were honored.
Greater Flint Health Coalition partners on the Advance Care Planning Task Force include Genesys Health System, Hurley Medical Center, McLaren-Flint, Genesee County Medical Society, Genesee County Osteopathic Society, Genesys PHO, McLaren PHO, Professional Medical Corporation (PMC), Hamilton Community Health Network, HealthPlus of Michigan, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Blue Care Network, McLaren Health Plan, and the United Auto Workers (UAW) Retiree Medical Benefit Trust (RMBT), among many others.